Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Come and Give the Best

Malachi 1:1, 6-14
Psalm 101, 109
James 3:13-4:12
Luke 17:11-19

Today two thoughts, perhaps making up for the time when I have been otherwise occupied with my substituting.

James 3:13-4:12

Come, Come near to God.
The sun is shinning, the dew is drying, the weather is not oppressively hot. I worked for 23 days and can spend time catching up on the rest of my life. God is indeed good. He gave us money to fix our house in the aftermath of Ike and we are fairly sure he is providing us with a rental car to drive to Illinois for Thanksgiving. But here I am mentioning material comforts again. The greatest gift that God has given me is the example and companionship of Jesus. This is what I should be shouting about. The peace of knowing that whatever happens, when the neighbors sue because they do not like the yard and the hurricane hits and the cars get old and so does the job he is there, just there. Not necessarily with a material benefit but with his presence and comfort which is beyond description.

Malachi 1:1, 6-14
Give God the best.
I have left the Advent book to the last few days. It cannot be compiled and printed by Thanksgiving in time for Advent Sunday. I might have excuses but I have also had time that I could have spent working on the book.
In all things give one's best to God for it is a gift from Him to be used wisely.

No comments: