Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bread and Yeast

1 Corinthians 5 : 1-8

I make bread. Two or three loaves week, without a bread machine.

Here is the apporoximate recipe.

3.5 cups of flour ( whatever sort you like, currently I use 2 whlemeal, 1 rye and .5 white)
about 1 teaspoon dried yeast
2 tablespoons oil
about 10 fl ozs warm water - feels just right to your finger

Put the flour in a bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Mix with a spoon to blend.
Make a well in the middle and add about half the water and all the oil. Stir with a wooden spoon untill all the liquid is absorbed. Add more water graually until a stiff dough is formed. It should not be sticky and not cling to the sides of the bowl. Dry in good.
Keep mixing and pound the dough with the spoon for a minute or two.
Leave for about hour an hour or more- just your convenience,
Grease 1lb baking tin (pound can pan).
Flour a board/countertop- wherever you want to knead the bread (about 1-2 tbs of flour)
Turn the dough out and knead I usually do this by drawing the sides into the middle until I am bored or run out of time.
Roll the dough into a sausage to fit the pan.
Bake 400- 425ish fro 40-45 minutes.

The problem is I like yeast in my bread and St Paul says that I should just stick to flour and water. It is certainly true that too much yeast does spoil a loaf and one's digestion. It is also true that a little yeast goes a long way. 3.5 cups of flour and a scarce teaspoon of yeast, that is an almost negligible amount of yeast yet it makes the whole loaf rise.
What little traits do I have that are pervading my thinking and perverting the flour of my life from becoming a good wholesome loaf? And what is a good wholesome loaf?

No comments: