Friday, February 29, 2008

Too Much To Do

(Mark 5:21-43)
Me: Lord, How do you expect me to get through today? Everywhere I look there are things waiting for me to pick up, letters to write, emails to reply to , laundry and ironing to do, yard to weed. How can you, an itinerant bachelor begin to understand the pressures in my life? You had no home or daily schedule, you ran your own life, you were not pushed along by your family requirements.

Jesus: How about the time when I was gong to the synagogue ruler's house to heal his daughter? We were struggling to get through the crowd when someone touched my jacket in a special way. I felt as if I had performed a miracle. I had to stop to find out who had such faith. Peter and the rest of the gang said that I was stupid, why worry about someone touching your jacket? At last I found her and and as I looked into her eyes I knew that she had found peace and healing. We were still talking when a messenger arrived to say that the little girl had died and that they had no need of me now. I insisted that we went on to the house as originally planned. I could not disappoint Jairus. He only needed a little encouragement to believe that his precious daughter would wake from her heavenly sleep. Those awful wailing women had got to the house before us. They could go! They would not believe that I could overcome death. well I suppose it was there business to wail and I was putting them out of a job.
You know what happened. And I know what it is like to be run by events so I can sympathize with you about your day.

Now what are you going to do next?

At all times sing Allellulia (yes even in Lent) and give thanks for all the events and opportunites in your life, even for the full laundry hamper- where would you be without those people.....


This is based on a meditation which I wrote for the Lenten Meditation Book in 1996

No comments: