Friday, December 10, 2010

Did they read the message?

click on pic for blinks

Isaiah 7:10-25

How often does somebody send you a message and then later you ask them a question and they say "Didn't you read the message which I sent to you?" It happened to me only this morning. Sometimes it is the other way round. I send an email, or tell somebody something and later they ask me a question which makes it only too obvious that they had not been listening. This is especially common in families. Husbands and wives (that was this morning), parents and children. I am sure my 'children' could give you many examples of my seeming negligence which was totally unintentional on my part- but does that make it any better. I am sorry, I will try to do better in future.
Isaiah spoke to the Jews, he had a message for them. Later God asked them about the message but there were ignorant of the some of the content, they had not been listening properly. It was not intentional, in fact they thought they had been listening but they had missed what seemed an insignificant line which really was the most important part.

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Immanuel means God with us.

God said he was coming and they were not ready. They claimed they did not know how it would happen.

I suppose we need to keep our eyes and eyes open, attentative to God's message however it may come. We do not know who is our Isaiah.

No comments: