Monday, December 6, 2010

Mansions and MINE


Isaiah 5:8-12,18-23

Isaiah was written approximately 700 years before Jesus' time, that is almost 3000 years ago; and what is he complaining about- of houses larger than necessary for a few at the expense of any house for the increasing homeless, a countryside depleted of hedgerows and over-cropping with the result of a tired land producing few crops; of exotic banquets and late nights drinking without a care for the morrow.
What has changed over these 3000 years? It always amazes me that people were worrying about the size of their house that long ago. I thought all were primitive and living in caves. But it seems as if they had the same cares as we do today. What house can I afford? How can I make the most from my land? How can I increase my income? And God was not absent from their thoughts.
I am sure they thought that they were members of his chosen ones, they were Jews were they not? The fact they had wealth was a sign that God was on their side. Their focus their well-being and enjoyment. They were being presumptuous about God's gifts, not treating them as something precious and temporary. What I have does not belong to me, it is not mine; I am just the carer.
May my focus be Himself.

No comments: