Monday, June 18, 2012

Strengthening?

Romans 1:1-15

Last spring an summer I tried to ride my bike an increasing number of kilometres each day. It was a modest target but I tried to ride 100 kilometres each week. I started with 15 kilometres in the first week. This is quite easy, just ride to the farm 2 or 3 times in the week, maybe taking in a detour down one of my favourite lanes. Or just riding the bike to the station instead of driving- 28 km. It was easy to do 50 km a week. This year it is tougher. We have lots of heavy rain, just for about half an hour once or twice a week but it makes sections of the roads into streams of mud which though they form in fives minutes take five days to dry.
Today is the only day that I can fit a bike into my schedule. I did it last week. I rode to my nearest student 12 km away. I was really looking forward to building up my cycling muscles and maybe tomorrow be able to sit with ease in spite of the exercise today. To be secretly honest too I was enjoying the prospect of an extra snack or two to keep up my energy for the ride. The weather had alternative plans for my day. At 6 30am it was as dark as if there was an impending tornado. I took David to work and will drive to my student. But this still leaves ageing muscles in need of maintenance, stretching and using.
So is my spirit in need of feeding from reading my bible and meeting with other Christians. But this alone would make me spiritually obese and not benefit anyone.  The food needs to be put to good use. How will I share the knowledge of God today?


Photograph: My bike beside the Old Canal, Ronquières to Feluy

No comments: