Monday, November 24, 2014

Like a child

Luke 18;15-30

Do you remember visiting Father Christmas in the grotto? For me my first experience was not a happy one. It was my third Christmas. We were in a department store in Llanelli. The grotto was in the basement. We descend the dark stairs, I was put on this strange man's knee. I cried.There after I always had a problem with this Father Christmas guy, so much so that I was the first one on the block to hear the truth. my mother just could not take any more of my Christmas agonies. I was terrified of Father Christmas.
When I had my own children I could not encourage the myth of Father Christmas and told them that we gave and received presents at Christmas because God gave us Jesus at Christmas and the Kings brought gifts to the stable. It was a time of giving. The other mothers in the village were not happy. They were worried that my children would tell their children the truth.
This came to my memory this morning as I was pondering what it is the accept the kingdom like a child. Children are not gullible. They are often very wise. So I suppose this is how I accept God and his kingdom. Believe what I am told until proved otherwise.

No comments: