Friday, November 16, 2012

Leashes

James 1: 16-27

26 If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless. 

Windermere can be a naughty boy. Currently he is curled up in the beanbag. There is no sound, the only clue to his life is the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest. Take him for a walk, meet another dog and one needs earplugs to diminish noise of the screeching and barking as they assault the eardrums. This is accompanied by a straining at the leash to attack the other dog and that fails he quickly turns and initiates a fight with Ernest.
I try to keep my eyes open and search ahead. If I see a distant dog I wind Windermere's leash around my head several times, thus trying to prevent the opportunity to lash out at Ernest. I might also turn aside in the hope that Windy will not notice the dog. all my effort is on controlling the errant dog by his leash and my voice, often having the leash so short that I am at his eye level, thereby trying to control his vision and help him to realize that I am in charge. It is a long and slow learning curve.
Who is in charge of my tongue?

No comments: