Monday, November 5, 2012

Stress

Luke 12:49-59

What did you do today?
I missed my bus. The next bus was two hours later. I did not want to wait one hour and fifty-nine minutes. My options were wait until the next bus, walk eleven kilometres or wait half an hour and walk five kilometres. It was raining. We think of stress as a modern illness. We overload ourselves with commitments. I I took option three thus getting home at least an hour later than I have originally intended but with the same workload awaiting me on my arrival home.
I was not  happy camper though my plight was alleviated slightly by one of my classmates from yoga giving a ride part of the way home. I have been trying to finish some time, getting on for ten months. I had planned that today I would actually get the material under the needle of the sewing machine. But no, I had to recover from my cold and wet walk. Then there were other chores which had to be done, one of which was also making up for a mistake that I had made. I am frustrated with myself. There is no way that I will get to the sewing machine today. Maybe if I had not decided to share this thought. Will I ever finish the curtains?


50I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! 

Jesus knew stress. I thought it was a modern illness, unique to our over committed life-style. No Jesus had a job to do and it was weighing him down. My frustration is not caused by anything so important to mankind as the mission which Jesus had to fulfil can now believe more fully in the verse which claims that Jesus new our temptations.

Hebrews 4: 14-16
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore approach the throne of grace with boldness, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

No comments: