Thursday, November 29, 2012

Some students

Psalms 135

Anna, Rosemary, Janet, Sylvia, these are the names of some of my first pupils. They were good students, they almost always got all their sums correct and never misbehaved. They were good students. I gave them 10/10. Occasionally one would slide a little in her chair and topple towards her neighbour, but that was the worst offence. They seemed to concentrate intently on their lessons but though they had hands I had to write their answers for them. Yes they were my dolls. They were very different from the real life students I have encountered since then.
There is Louis, a member of a very unruly class, who noticed my cracked hands and said "Miss you need to put some lotion on your hands". Through him I began to accept those students as real caring people in spite of their lack of care for mathematics taught in English. Most of them did their counting in Spanish.
There is Brandon who  helped me in my garden and house, we shared religion and politics whilst working together.
Here are just two of the real live students who often got wrong answers to their mathematics but they are in my heart because of their care. Unlike my dolls who are in a box in the attic.

No comments: