Sunday, February 10, 2013

An instance of God's sense of humour.

Deuteronomy 6:1-9


I love God. Yesterday I had to write an emergency meditation for our church's book for Lent. Guess what. it was on the latter part of this passage. Here it is.


Jesus said “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and your neighbour as yourself.”  (My paraphrase of Matthew 22:37-39). Being a New testament is the relevant testament person I was shocked and horrified when I discovered these same words in the Old Testament in Leviticus 19:18. Now I find the first of those commandments in Deuteronomy too.  “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”
For some years therefore I have been just as excited by the Old testament as by the New. No longer do I see it as irrelevant to my life. It was Old testament Scriptures that Jesus spoke about on the road to Emmaus. Why did I ignore them for so many years?


No comments: