Monday, February 4, 2013

Journal

Psalm 56

One of the most famous diaries is that of Cecily in Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. Cecily records her thoughts and feeling for the, unbeknown to he, fictitious Ernest. I am sure God is just as diligent in his recording my emotions which are probably just as volatile as those of Cecily. His record is probably more complete than my own record.
When we were reading this psalm early this morning the diary which I bought at the Boston Fine Arts Museum came to mind. That was in the days when my journal was a diary. In the back I wrote a list of my family and friends for who I wanted to pray and divided the list into thirty. Each day of the month I prayed for the group whose names fell on that day. My current diary is a leather bound book that I found in my mother's belongings and which re-emerged when I was unpacking boxes after our move here. It is a joy to write on the thick paper. No longer do I have the monthly list but I think I might revive it. Daily, well almost daily I make a note of any bible verses, readings or situations that seem particularly poignant. Sometimes it is just my thoughts and sometimes nothing. But God has his record.



No comments: