Friday, February 15, 2013

Where are you staying?

John 1:35-42

Maybe it was 1978. I asked "Where are you staying?" to the girl who had just been offered the post of an English teacher at the school where I was working. I had never seen her before that day but we had had a chat or two in the staff room. The answer might have been the Black Swan, I cannot remember. I said. "You cannot stay there, stay with us." So we went and picked up her suitcase, cancelled the booking and she spent the night at our house. Thus began a friendship that continues.

My in-laws were arriving the next day. My house was being cleaned from top to bottom, I now had a willing helper. A friend needed a lodger, our new friend needed somewhere to stay when she took up her position.

I find it strange that I had been thinking of Julia earlier this morning in a totally different context and then God reminds me of our meeting in this Bible passage.

God brings people into our lives in strange ways. I hope that I am always open to his prompting.

No comments: