Friday, February 1, 2013

teaching

Isaiah 50:1-11

I teach because one of my mother's friends thought I was a natural teacher. She was an experienced teacher, the headmistress of a school. I think she had seen me with younger children helping them to learn various Girl Guide tasks. So I went to training college and became a teacher, I think I might have preferred to be a computer programmer but it was a newly invented job at the time my decision was made and the news had not yet reached the careers information of an all girls school in west Wales.
Maybe I really am a natural teacher, my poor dolls had to go to school.
Now when I thought I had given up I find myself teaching again but not the mathematics which is so familiar and my speciality but English as a foreign language.
The subject matter is certainly diverse but the emotion involved in learning the two is often the same. You either love it or hate it.
So I teach. Gently leading and nurturing my students confidence to take risks and be bold.

No comments: