Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wednesday of Second Week of Easter 2 April

Exodus 15:22-16:10
Psalm 119:1-24
1 Peter 2:1-10
John 15: 1-11
1 Peter 2:1-10

A Stone

When Naomi was in preschool and elementary school she collected stones- from the beach, from church and historic home footpaths. She bought geodes with her spare money. Whilst visiting the University of Missouri at Rolla we were caught peering into the a geology lecture room filled with samples and were invited in for a better look at the rocks. We carried stones from beaches in Wales, carefully protecting them for the journey. To Naomi these were precious trophies, to her father they were excess baggage.
I have a stone, it is red with cream veins. It is very smooth. I do not know where it came from or its significance. As long as I can remember it was in a cream jug on my mother's sideboard. Now I will never know why it is special. I keep it because I know it is precious though I do not know why. Perhaps my faith is the same. I do not know why I believe but I do. I cannot imagine life without the thought of Jesus at my side as my constant companion and the Holy Spirit givng me the courage to do things that I might not otherwise have done and God the Father being in charge of the whole show.

No comments: