Saturday, January 10, 2009

Single Decker Bus, Sardis

Isaiah 65:1-9
Psalms 138, 139
Revelation 3:1-6
John 6:1-14

Revelation 3:1-6
I wonder why anyone would want to call their village Sardis, though I suppose it was more of a hamlet than a village. The streets were not streets but lanes. The turn that the bus had to make was so sharp that the only way the maneuver could be achieved was to reverse into another lane. Sardis, I thought it was an obscure Welsh name like the neighboring village of Llangwm. But no, I discover that it was one of Paul's churches honored by a letter. But what a letter. Why would you want to name a chapel, for the hamlet had taken on the name of the nonconformist chapel built there in the revival of the Wesley's time (I am going to have to check this fact when I get back from work) after a people described as thinking they were alive but were actually spiritually dead?


No comments: