Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sunday

Luke 6:1-11

‘I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the sabbath, to save life or to destroy it?’

My grandfather taught me how to play cards, patience, rummy, happy families, snap. He spent many hours playing with me. I still have the wastepaper basket which we used as the hole for our card aiming game. Dominoes was one of his favourites, I have that same domino set too. But he would not play crds with me on a Sunday. On Sundays we went for a walk, usually along the promenade at Neyland, but sometimes further afield. We might pack Grandma into the car and go to the real seaside, Neyland only being on a saltwater estuary. Occasionally we went for afternoon tea in a hotel. Sunday was not a day for playing games, especially card games. Sometimes Grandpa would play hymns on his piano, I still have the piano too though it is less useful that the wastepaper basket.
Sunday was a special day. Card games were sinful and therefore not to be indulged on a Sunday. I had problems with this concept when I was eight and I still do. Should I reserve my sinning for Monday to Saturday? Alternatively if it is a sin why indulge in the activity at all?

No comments: