Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Wind and words

Isaiah 59:15-21

Today gusts of 100 km/hour are forecast. I cannot avoid listening to the wind as it is forced between the house and the rocks. Thus my attention was caught by this passage. I read on.
I am sure all parents have some sayings of their children in infancy. Matthew died before he could speak but I remember his grin and the light in his eyes. Often we speak without knowing it. This year I seem particularly frenzied. I am annoyed with myself. It is not the behaviour which tells of "Peace and Joy".  This passage reminded me of two minor admonishments that I received from my daughters when they were each about eight years old.
We had arrived at choir practice. I was faced with 45 minutes in the car without my forgotten book. Becky said "Well why don't you listen to the birds"? Indeed the church parking lot was a very peaceful place in the busyness of Houston.
The other which I do well to remember today was said by Naomi. I was complaining that I had not had time to do something, her reply was "If you really wanted to do it you would have done it".

What are my priorities today? Can I take the time to enjoy the world and the people around me?

No comments: