Monday, July 14, 2014

Rahab and I


Joshua 2:1-14

News travels fast nowadays. I knew just as it happened that Germany and Argentina had a 0-0 draw and were going to have to play overtime. Just over 30 minutes later I knew the result that Germany had won. I tell this not because I was particularly interested in the success of either Argentina or Germany or even in the outcome of the World Cup but as an example of how speedily and accurately we can follow world news.
This morning I was listening to one of the kidnapped Nigerian girls who had escaped from Boko Haram. The kidnapping was an event that was not covered by the world's TV cameras or watched by an estimated 1 billion people. The news of the girls spread slowly, as does the news of their current whereabouts.
I suspect that the news of the Israelites spread to Rahab in a way more akin to the Nigerian kidnapping than the World Cup win, slowly and not with the visual accuracy of a TV camera.

God's reputation preceded the Israelites. Rahab did not know all the facts but she knew that she wanted to be with God rather than on the other side. Me too.

No comments: