Saturday, August 2, 2008

Language


Judges 5:1-18
Psalm 69
Acts 2:1-21
Matthew 28:1-10

Language

Acts 2:1-21


I am supposed to speak the same language as most of the people in this town. Today I tried to order a sandwich. I started my order by saying what I wanted. After we had got through the variety of bread and spread the sandwich maker shuffled my bread to the meat section and looked at me as if I was lacking some brain cells because I was not telling her what sort of meat I wanted. Now I had already told her twice that I wanted "No meat" so I was equally surprised. I always used to have a problem with Sprite and fries, especially at drive throughs. I got round that problem by always getting a 'child' to do the ordering. I would have a child almost lying across me so that their little voice could be heard through the microphone. They might not have much volume but they have the right accent.
I of course have no accent. Our daughters say that we sound normal to them. They also say that all the local people sound normal too. Presumably what you hear regularly is what you consider 'normal'. The girls say that other Brits, unlike their parents sound British!

Now all those chaps from many different places could understand all that the disciples were saying, and the message was more unusual than ordering an avocado sandwich at sandwich bar or hamburger and fries at McDonald's.

God be in my head, and in my understanding; God be in my eyes, and in my looking; God be in
my mouth, and in my speaking; God be in my heart, and in my thinking; God be in my end, and at my departing.
(Old Sarum Primer)



image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pommes-1.jpg

No comments: