Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tentpeg


Tentpeg

Judges 4:4-23
Psalm 70, 71
Acts 1: 15-26
Matthew 27:55-66

Judges 4:4-23


If I had to write a list of possible uses of a tent peg killing a general would not be there.

Tent pegs have evolved a lot in the forty years that I have been camping. my favorites of course are those nice wooden ones that I first knew. They split rather than bent like the more modern metal ones, especially the skewer type. I expect Jael used a wooden one and maybe a wooden hammer too. We always used a wooden mallet to drive in the wooden tent pegs. The tents were those green ridge tents, one room, no floor. We made gadgets out of sticks, preferably hazel to hang our wellington boots and store our clothes and bedding; knots and whipping and lashing, tripods for bowls and racks for clothing and bedding rolls. I was the gadget queen, perhaps I should have been an engineer. Perhaps it was just my desire 'to make things'- sewing, cooking, knitting, gardens.

Jael was not on vacation with Girl Scouts when Sisera came knocking at her tentflap. She was going about her daily business. She used what came to hand to resolve an international crisis. I might not have the opportunity to influence world affairs but I can influence the little world in which I move. Hopefully guided by God.


image http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wooden_stake_holding_guy_rope.jpg



No comments: