Saturday, July 5, 2008


Numbers 24:12-25
Psalm 137:1-6, Psalm 144
Romans 8:18-25
Matthew 22:23-40

Psalm 137:1-6, Psalm 144

As a teenager in Pembrokeshire all I wanted to do was head east to the action. Nothing happened in Pembrokeshire- it was the end of the world - well it almost is the end of Britain. Fifty years later I would really appreciate going back to that western outpost of British civilization.
I like to swim. I go to a health club and swim laps. I keep track pf the laps by singing (in my head) a hymn with each succeeding letter of the alphabet in its first line. The connection between this and my growing appreciation of my Welsh youth? My knowledge of hymns is based on the many hours spent in school assembly. Everyday we sang a hymn, the whole school gathered together- except for the Roman Catholics. How life has changed. I love Pembrokeshire, singing hymns and I worship with Catholics.

No comments: