Saturday, July 12, 2008

Fig Tree



Deuteronomy 34:1-12
Psalms 20, 21:1-7
Matthew 24:32-51


Matthew 24:32-51

We have a fig tree. It is the variety 'Alma' which does not grow into a large tree. I think the fruit taste very good but we seldom get to taste it as birds sit on the fence waiting for individual fruits to ripen. This year it is laden with fruit. I hope to occassionally beat the mocking birds to the prize.
The first time I had figs that were not dried brown figs was at the Castle Hotel in Llandovery. We were on our way home from a vacation and stopped for dinner. I think it was a set menu with no choice for dessert. Whatever the reason for eating the figs it certainly was a choice delight. I fell in love with figs. The figs at Llandovery were green and in a light syrup, served with fresh cream. I fell in love with fresh figs. Hence the first tree I planted in our backyard was the fig tree.
I cannot devote the same amount of time as the mockingbird who inhabits the plum tree does to watching the figs ripen but I go out early every morning and monitor fruit for a potential breakfast. This is a convenient time for watering the pot plants on the patio. It falls into my daily business. All those things that I do whilst waiting for Jesus to come back though I have to admit that I seldom give that event a first or second thought each day.
We have been given a wonderful world, due sparkling on the early morning grass, blue sky and rain, rushing silver mountain streams and the ponderous mud laden Mississippi. Fruits from the backyard and fruits from Chile and California, all are part of the wonderful creation which we have been given to husband until the return of its maker.


No comments: