Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Grafting


Joshua 2:15-24
Psalms 26, 28
Romans 11: 13-24
Matthew 25: 14-30


Romans 11: 13-24

Grafting is a way of propagating plants. A stick from the required variety is bound to a more basic but healthy and vigorous rootstock. The vascular cambium on the two parts must be aligned. Tissues from the two parts can then fuse and they can grow as one.
If we are grafted into God's family, dare I say family tree, then we receive our sustenance through Him. A good ol' knock though can separate the two parts of a graft. The roots in the ground can continue growing, throwing up new shoots of their own kind, the special part that was grafted in is useless thrown on the compost heap. I do not want my graft to be knocked. I want to protect it from violent winds and straying soccer balls. What can shake my faith as a hurricane snaps off branches and tears down trees? Or the curving soccer ball kicked by a budding Beckham strikes fruit tree that had strayed into the backyard soccer field. (This did happen to us. The 'Beckham' was very upset. Fortunately the tree was already dead but when the blow occured it severed the trunk at the graft.)
The scion never becomes disconnected from the rootstock. The rootstock feeds and waters the scion 24/7. May I keep myself open to God's food and water continually.



image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grafting

No comments: