Friday, July 11, 2008

Rain

Deuteronomy 31:7-13, 24-32:4
Psalms 16, 17
Romans 10:1-13
Matthew 24:15-31


Deuteronomy 31:7-13, 24-32:4

A bicycle is not a good form of transport in the rain. There is no cover for ones clothing. Passing cars and trucks spray muddy water. My bike was my transport for quite a few years. One evening it was raining - not a surprise considering I was in England. This was real rain, almost torrential enough to qualify as Texas rain. I was going to a formal party and hence wearing a long dress. Usually being a person to put practicalities before glamor when it comes to dressing (this aspect of my personality often gives some members of my family great opportunity for jovial ridicule, the other members of the family are with me in their metaphorical wellies) I wore my wellington boots and took my cute shoes in a bag. I had to empty my boots of water.

Rain enough to fill ones wellingtons or a gentle mist, the God given water gives life to plants and people. God's teaching comes in many forms. Gently through the ministering of friends and casual encounters in grocery stores and market places, at work and at play or more vehemently in the designated places where it is sought of sermons and books.

Spirit of the living God fall afresh on me.
Spirit of the living God fall afresh on me.
Break me, melt me, mould me, fill me.
Spirit of the living God fall afresh on me.

Daniel Iverson 1890-1977

No comments: