Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Open My Eyes

Deuteronomy 1:1-18
Psalm 119:1-24
Romans 9:1-18
Matthew 23:27-39



18 Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.

Psalm 119, the longest psalm in the Bible is acrostic;* the verses of each stanza begin with the same letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Also each verse contains a word for the 'law'.
My eyes need continual opening to see God's path for me but his psalm is not about following God's unique path designated for me but it is an adoration of God's Law, not a concept which fills me with joy. The Ten Commandments have always been a problem for me, particularly memorizing them and trying to keep them in order in my brain. We had to learn the Ten Commandments in Primary (Elementary) School. I am not good at being given a list and having to memorize it. I am alright if I can see some logic in the progression of the list or find a way to help me keep the elements in order. My friend, Jane, in high school was very good at French. She had no problem with vocabulary but geometry theorems were a foreign language to her. Whereas I could not deal with the French vocabulary and could not understand how Jane could not see the logical conclusion of a theorem or prove the theorem if she she could not remember the given words. Hence the idea of the Old Testament Law was not a delight to me.

It was with great delight when I discovered Jesus' rendering of the Law

Matthew 22:36-40 (New International Version)

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[b] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Only two items to remember.

Now all there is to do is DO IT.


Footnotes:
* NIV footnote

    1. Matthew 22:37 Deut. 6:5
    2. Matthew 22:39 Lev. 19:18
1918 was the year the first World War ended. A friend Maurice pointed this out to us in a Bible Study in Brookmans Park.

No comments: