Monday, February 22, 2010

Margins- God is faithful. The example of Winston Churchill


Psalms 41, 44, 52


Books are special. We have many books. None of them are valuable first editions in mint condition except an totally unread version of Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. Even though our books are not in perfect condition I would never have dreamed of writing in them. That would be sacrilege. Then I read that a copy of a book once owned by Winston Churchill had been sold for an enormous some of money, not because it had evidence of his fingerprints if one had the ability to read fingerprints because it was annotated by him. Thence I wrote in the margins of my books if and when I wanted. Not that my thoughts will make any book that I have owned have a greater resale value. It will have the opposite effect. I do it because it increases the value of the book to me.

This morning as I read the passage from Corinthians I noticed that i had highlighted the words "God is faithful" from verse 9. The date is in 1994. Yes God is faithful.

This is the only reason I believe and what I hope motivates me and why I am writing this. I really agree with Paul in verse 19. To believe is God makes no sense. I just know that it works. I do not quote from my own life because I like talking about myself but because this is the experience I have of God. The way that the illogical is believable.
Verse 19 is also a quote from Isaiah 29:14 which brings me back to another hobbyhorse- the relevance of the Old Testament in our modern day life.

And I almost forgot to mention Paul's listing of the people he has baptised. He's human after all. Oops, now what else..

God is faithful.

No comments: