Friday, February 19, 2010

Three Things or maybe Four


Psalm 31, 35




1. This verse is special this year to the members of our evening service at Holy Trinity Brussels
as in January we were each given it on a card as a memory verse for the year.

2. It was then that David told how it was read at the end of every school year at the closing service in his high school. (Christ's Hospital founded by Edward 6th) This was a very moving service and the verse has remained with him through the many (40) intervening years as a reminder of how to conduct his life.

3. I have told my 'children' before. In fact I try to remind them every time I come to this passage that verse 8 is a prayer that I have for them.

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think on such things."

Skip my example, concentrate on the noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Or understand that my intention was and is to be guided by truth and goodness (God with nothing added). May this be the focus of your life.

4. The cheat point as it is introducing a second passage John 17:9-19. Jesus' prayer and concern for his disciples. In my youth, when I was in High School this was an important passage to me. Now I have traveled through the intervening years I know that God does look after and care for us even when we have little or no thought for him.









1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sian (that's "Jane" in Welsh, isn't it?) I came across your blog by accident. You mention David who graduated from Christ's Hospital some 40 years ago - so did I (a little ahead of David). I remember Philippians 4:8 from those days, but its meaning and significance seem to grow as life goes on.