Sunday, February 28, 2010

Puddles


Psalms 8, 24, 29, 84


Today is a day of rain. Be it autumn, winter or spring there are plenty of puddles in the forest. The sightings of the sparrows, blue tits and great tits, chaffinches and robins (the little european type) are just a memory of the last few weeks. Eighteen years ago I would not have remarked upon seeing one of these little birds but after such a long time away from their familiar sights it is as if they are saying "Welcome back".
My home has been elsewhere, on a different continent and even now though I am nearer to my origins in location and weather the language barrier is a constant reminder that I am still an alien. But this is where we live, where I go about my daily business, shop and travel on trams. I would say that this is where I am building my nest except that most of the materials for our nest are still in a container somewhere in Houston. In May we should move into our house, the place where we shall "dwell". Home is a tough concept. Some birds reuse the nest of a previous years, others build a completely new nest in a different place.
I trust God to be with us in our new nest. The world is a small place.
"The Lord is a sun and a shield". It is nice to be reminded of this on such a wet and rainy day.

No comments: