Friday, September 14, 2012

Lazarus walks

John 11:30-44
Ever since Wednesday when we started  reading the account of the raising of Lazarus I have been waiting for us to reach verse 44. Why? Not because I am dumbfounded by the enormity of the miracle, the fact that a person other than Jesus was came out of a grave alive- for this is the other big resurrection episode. I refrain from using the word story as that can imply an element of fiction. No verse 44 is engraved in my memory because of the scripture teacher I had when I was eleven years old. I can picture the classroom, I can picture the teacher but I cannot remember her name.  We had to write an essay on this passage of scripture. I described Lazarus as "jump-walking" out of the tomb. I assumed that his legs were bound together and walking was difficult and therefore described the situation as in the most descriptive way that I could. I was scoffed at, told that jump- walking did not exist and was a term that could not be used. I was upset, that is annoyed. I would have been upset even if the statement had not been made to the whole class.

I think I might even have had words with the teacher after the lesson. It is immaterial. The picture I have in my mind is of Lazarus coming out of the tomb with his legs bound together and this his movement was more of jumps or bunny hops that walking. What is your picture? How do you picture other passages of scripture?   How real is scripture to you?

No comments: