Thursday, September 26, 2013

Miracles and fasting

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18


Miracles and fasting; these belong to the times just after Jesus walked on earth. Or the alternative was that the miracles belong to religious fanatics and fasting to the Roman Catholics.These are the theories which I was taught as a child.

Now I know that miracles happen, yesterday I was part of a little one. Stephen wanted to meet Naomi but she did not answer her telephone. I decided to take a short cut to where I was going, got frustrated at being behind a group of adolescent lads in the mall and saw Naomi from the heights of the escalator. The youths were a bit aghast at my calling out, but they recovered and Stephen was able to meet Naomi. Now that might not seem much of a miracle but to me it is evidence of God working in our lives. If he can organize two people meeting then he can do much greater things.

Not only have I experienced God working in my life but I have also heard of people fasting and the increased activity of God in their life as a result of the fast. However I now have a different problem with fasting. I have overcome my belief in its eccentricity. I suffer from migraines if I do not eat regular little snacks. Does this make me less of a Christian because I know that fasting should be part of my spiritual disciplines but I avoid it for fear of the physical effect it may have on me?

No comments: