Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Eternal Care

1 Peter1:13-25

The grass withers. In Houston, without constant care and watering the summer heat dried up the lawn. Here, in Belgium it is the cold of winter that causes the grass to turn brown.
Yesterday I wrote a letter to a person whose child had died recently. I considered finding the verse in Psalm 103

15 The life of mortals is like grass,
    they flourish like a flower of the field;
16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
    and its place remembers it no more.


I prefer the verse that Peter is quoting from Isaiah 40: 7. However I have written my letter so do not need to search the scriptures. I do not think I would have liked the remembering no more part. Parents do not forget their children. God does not forget even a hair of my head. I suppose that means he must care for me more than I do because I do not even know the hairs that I have at present let alone the ones that fell whilst I showered this morning.

If a few week old infant is a blade of grass then perhaps I am a Pacific Redwood. Both come to an end eventually. The word of God, who is Christ, endures for ever.

John 1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

I thank God for his eternal care.

No comments: