Monday, November 18, 2013

Lake of Fire

Revelation 20:7-15

 I am fascinated by volcanoes. This summer I put Crater Lake on our itinerary. It was beautiful. That peaceful lakes occupies the space once filled a volcanic crater, was even formed by a massive eruption blowing the top of the mountain. Imagine this to be no longer dormant and full of fire.


We climbed in as far as we could. We did that in Vesuvius too, but there the crater still contains ash and fire. Look into the crevasses and you see white hot fire. This summer I watched a programme about excavating Pompeii. When we visited the town, more than thirty years ago it was thought that the victims of the eruption in 79 AD suffered from asphyxiation by gases but since then it has been discovered that at least some of them were roasted by the intense heat. Not a way I would like to go, nor would I like to be engulfed in a stream of molten lava.

I shall just have to trust in Jesus' saving power.





No comments: