Monday, September 8, 2008

Sheep

Job 32:1-10, 19-33:1, 19-28
Psalms 41, 52
Acts 13:44-52
John 10:19-30


John 10:19-30

When the farmer came into the field behind our house he would call to the sheep and they would come running towards him. They certainly recognized his voice. He did not always bring them food. Sometimes he would take them out of the field to change their pasture or down to the farm for a bath. Like most animals they did not like this one, the noise from the farmyard at dipping time was a cacophony of bleats. I am not sure what they thought of the changing pasture routine. The sheepdog would make sure that all the sheep were near the gate, running hither and thither up and down the field nagging the stranglers. (Is this what God's workers do now for us, His sheep?) Now was not a good time to have to make the journey down the lane to Grendon, a journey that I did often ferrying my children to and from school. The sheep filled the road. All one could do was stop and wait. If you were going in the same direction as them then it was a long wait. The opposite direction was not so bad though the sheep did not think so the complaining they did as they passed the car.


Do I recognize Jesus' voice? When I think I hear it do I run to or from it?

No comments: