Thursday, April 14, 2011


John 10:19-42

You might have noticed that I now include the french version of the Bible passage on which my musing is based. This is not because I understand the French, it is because I want to understand the French. I feel very much the same about Jesus' words.
I live and move in a French speaking village. I order my milk at the farm in French,
I order my bread and pastries in French,
I order my meat in French.
As I walk down the street I greet my fellow "Ittroise" with "Bonjour" and it seems as if the men are straight out of the movie Chocolat with their "Bonjour, Madam". I understand some of my conversation with "Madam la ferme", definitely not all the words. The assistants in the boulangerie are very patient in trying to understand my questions about the names of the interestingly shaped loaves of bread and the tempting pastries.
I do not understand everything that Jesus has to say. If he were not all-knowing I am sure he would wonder why making my requests and comments on life, but he is patient and knows that I am coming from a different place than Him.
Thus I will stick to learning French and talking with Jesus.

No comments: