Friday, May 31, 2013

Reminders

Deuteronomy 5:1-22

The act of writing a shopping list often is enough to help me to remember what I intend buying. Have you ever been in the situation that you had to walk back into the room that you have just left in order to remember why you left the room in the first place?

Moses is giving the new generation of Israelites a reminder of what it was that God said to their parents and grandparents in the Ten Commandments. He wanted them to start their new life in the new country on a right footing with God so that "your days may be long and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you" (v16). 

We know the Ten Commandments, we were taught them as children, particularly the one about parents. I wonder why parents always focus on that particular commandment? As a child I had a problem with that. Today I realized that there are a lot of missing from the Ten Commandments. God leaves many of our choices about our behaviour to our freewill. Moses learnt this to his cost, the cost of not entering the Promised Land.

Help me Father to remember your Law of Love in all my behaviour and that my brother Jesus is a constant playmate. Theoretically I want allow him to influence me in all I do, help me to put this desire into practice.


No comments: