Saturday, June 8, 2013

God Loves a Cheerful Worker

2 Corinthians 9:1-15

"God Loves a Cheerful Worker", this was, may still be one of Eileen's often spoken gentle sayings. A way of urging a reluctant child to perform a disliked task when play was preferred. In fact, even though it is twenty-one years since I had the opportunity to hear Eileen say the words herself, I often quote it to myself in similar situations.
Eileen is one of the special people whom God has given me as a travelling companion. We lived in the same village and had friends in common for quite a few years before our paths met. We ate our sandwich together once a week and shared the trials and tribulations of raising four children. One of our sons and Eileen's boy were best buds and Eileen's daughters were extremely reliable baby-sitters. Our daughters almost thought of Eileen's family as an extension of their own, Eileen was so welcoming, everybody is special to Eileen.

Paul might have said "God loves a cheerful giver" but giving time and energy is important too, as is a welcoming and generous spirit. Thank you Father for giving me Eileen as a friend to hold my hand and love me.

No comments: