Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dwelling Place/Recipe Toad in the hole and Yorkshire Pudding

Micah 1:1-9
Psalms 121, 122, 123
Acts 23:12-24
Luke 7:1-17

Micah 1:1-9

My house, my home, the building in which my possessions rest. Really it is little more than that unless it is a place where I can withdraw from contact with humanity.
The desert fathers spent time communicating with God in their remote and minimal housing but even the desert fathers had visitors and ventured out occasionally because they knew that in order to be true to their calling it was imperative to communicate God's love to a loveless world. Julian of Norwich shared her Showings and thus God's love in a new way to her generation even though she did not leave her dwelling place.
Perhaps my dwelling place is nothing to do with where I lay my head or keep my 'stuff' or write my blog. It is wherever I can meet with God and go forth strengthened to share his love.

And the toad lives in his hole.
Yorkshire Pudding Batter
4ozs flour - about 2/3 cup but some recipes use a whole cup which gives a slightly heavier mixture
1 egg
10 fl oz milk and water mixed (about half of each)
Put the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center and add the egg and about 1/4 of the liquid. Using a wooden spoon gradually incorporate the flour with the liquid. Beat until smooth then gradually add the rest of the liquid beating well as you go. This is how I was taught to make it. Actually I put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with an electric mixer. Place the bowl in a refrigerator for about an hour before you want to use it. (Of course I do not usually do this either)
Heat some oil in a baking tin. When the oil is hot rotate it so that the sides are coated with hot oil then pour in the batter. Bake for about 35minutes at 425 deg F.
For Toad in the Hole you will also need a pound of sausages.
Do as before but lay the sausages in the batter or you can put the sausages in and add the batter. Either way works.

No comments: