Friday, October 10, 2008

Seeds with a Second Chance

Micah 3:9-4:5
Psalms 140, 142
Acts 24:24-25:12
Luke 8:1-15

Birds are a known way of spreading seeds. Being gobbled up by a little sparrow might not be a problem though it is worse for a grain of wheat than a berry seed. The seeds that fell over the edge of the field might be alright. It is amazing the number of times I have been weeding what I thought a bed of thorns and discovered a precious plant underneath the upstart briar. I weed and tend my foundling.
The seeds I feel sorry for are the ones that fall on the path and got trampled on or the ones on the rock.
Now the seed is not responsible for where it lands. When I am walking and see an earthworm struggling across the sidewalk I stoop down and help it to a grassy place. Perhaps in my daily walk I ought also to be mindful of seeds that might need some tender care and help from the rocky place to the fertile land.

No comments: