Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Unmarked Graves & Clean Hands

Psalm 119:49-72
Revelation 12:1-6
Luke 11:37-52


Luke 11:37-52

s was a physician in a Viennese hospital in the 19th century. He developed a theory that outraged the medical profession. Washing hands might prevent the spread of disease. His colleagues and his wife thought he was nuts and had him incarcerated in a lunatic asylum where he died, frustrated and disillusioned.
Nowadays thankfully doctors wash their hands between patiens and even visitors to hospitals are requested to wash their hands before and after visiting a sick room. Chefs wash their hands before they prepare our food and we all wash our hands before we eat. Hopefully this results in transmission of those little unseen germs which invade a body and make a person sick.

But what about those unseen things which contaminate a soul or spirit? What am I doing that is preventing my friend or neighbor from coming closer to God? What am I doing to alienate my children from God? Or conversely how am I drawing those I meet closer to God and his kingdom?

No comments: