Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Student?

Jonah 1:17-2:10
Psalm 119:1-24
Acts 27:9-26
Luke 9:1-17

Psalm 119:1-24

This week I am attempting to teach the mysteries of basic algebra to 40 unwilling learners. How to help them to understand that 12 and 4x cannot be combined to make 16 or even 16x is almost beyond their comprehension. The concept is almost as elusive as the Holy Grail. These students lack two of the basic ingredients for teaching to be effective. The first I might be able to do something about. I might be able to fill in some of the gaps in their algebraic knowledge and complete the ramparts of their understanding. The other lack is the inclination to want to learn. Their thirst for knowledge has not been awakened. They talk and grouch and sleep.
What sort of a learner am I for God? Do I have my mind on my own plans? Am I too busy talking to listen? Do I keep my eyes open to see the nudges that God might be giving me?

No comments: