Monday, February 9, 2009

Well Watered Garden

Isaiah 58:1-12
Neat little cabbages and straggling peas not knowing which way to turn as they try to follow their stakes. Brick footpaths twisting through dells lined with flowering shrubs and rhododendrons by the cubic yard. I could spend all year enjoying a well watered garden, large or small. These are some pf the thoughts that filled my mind the first time I read this passage from Isaiah. It seemed as if God had written it just for me. He will make me into an oasis in a sun-scorched land, a land where water has no chance to do its work unless there is a continual spring.
Ask our yard. In April the St Augustine grass has recovered form the 'chill' of winter and has woken out of its spikey dormant stage into a lush greenness. We water, automatic sprinklers programmed for two or three times a week but as we go through the sweltering heat of June, July and August the grass begins to dessicate, great patches of bare soil appear. Only a constant supply of water will suffice to keep the grass green.
And God said he would make me into a well watered garden. When I am dried out as if there is not succor left in me he will give me constant nourishment making me into a pruductive worthy of note but only because the source of the water is known.

No comments: