Thursday, March 10, 2011

Knowing God's Will!





Psalm 37:1-18


John 1:29-34

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. How easy is it to sit still, even for an adult. I think I am sitting still and waiting patiently for a little bird to come to my bird feeder but actually I am drinking my tea, idly glancing at a book and shifting my feet to a more comfortable position. Really still is not what most of do well.

4 Take delight in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Yes I delight God and everything that he has given me, including things and people who sometimes irritate me. They are all of them gifts from God and special in his eyes. AND (therefore) he will give you the desires of your heart. Hmmm. If I think God is wonderful he will give me a Merc convertible?

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

Trust my way to God, no little morning 'to do' list without prayer and being still?

John 14:20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.

So if I give Jesus space to live in me His desires should be my desires, just as He and His father were at one with each other.

Jesus had His doubts and so did His cousin John. John asked God how he would know the "Lamb of God" and was told that it would be the person who he baptized on whom he saw a dove descend. And it turned out to be his cousin Jesus. I think that John did not hear a great shout, either when he went into the wilderness to start preaching or when he got the idea about a dove landing on somebody. I believe he was open to God's prompting. We can do that too.
Recently I at last mailed a parcel that had been sitting in my "in action" basket for almost a year. Some little niggle which I thought was inertia always prevented me from mailing it. When it was received it was just the right time for the gift. God works in little ways to further his kingdom. I hate writing things like this because it seems as if I am putting my self on a spiritual pedestal saying "God speaks to me". No, just occasionally I take the hint and the retelling may serve as a prompt for the future so that together we may align our desires with those of God- to further His reign of peace and love. And yes the knowledge of the gift of the cross is a foundation stone not to be overlooked.

I fou are wondering about the connection with the picture perhaps God is prompting you to send some chocolate as he has done more than once to me- but then I do live round the corner from a chocolaterie.

No comments: