Thursday, March 17, 2011

The sacrifice of thanksgiving


Deut. 9:23-10:5




I went to lunch at my friend Susan's house last Wednesday, over a week ago and I have not written to say thank you yet. It was a delicious lunch too. Why have I not done this? Have I been too busy? Of course I have. Then why did I have time to watch my favourite hospital soap opera? It was no problem setting aside the time to do that.
Susan gave me lunch. God gave me Susan. He has given me a lot of other friends too. How much effort do I use in my thanks to God and his gifts (the people he places in my life)? A good thank you involves time and effort.
Writing a check or making an electronic transfer for a lamb, or however they paid for their animal and wheat sacrifices in Asaph's era was easier than raising the lamb on the cold hills in winter. Ritual is easier than the unique. Ritual can be performed on over-drive. The unique takes a thought. I am an Anglican (in the UK sense of the word). I like the uniformity of our services but the effort which I exert towards God during a service is my sacrifice. It is my thanks and praise for the week.
Praising and thanking God for his wonderful world always seems so much easier when I see the sun rising or setting. Perhaps Asaph shared this sentiment.
Now to extend my thanks- to the lady in the patisserie who sympathetically tries to understand my attempts at French conversation, to Susan, ...
And in between times, in those times when I am between patisserie and Pointe de Poste to God himself.

The photograph is sunset at Middlekerk

No comments: