Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tent pegs

Judges 4:4-23
The highlight of my teenage summers was Girl Guide camp. I would go to more than one a year, sometimes with my own company and occasionally a national one. I would go to weekend camps too and if a girl doing a badge needed a spare camper, I was there.
When I first went to camp the tent pegs were big and wooden. Sometimes they split, especially if they hit too hard at the wrong angle. Later the pegs were metal, their problem was one of bending. The whack given to a wooden beg would crumple a flimsy metal peg.  Hitting in tent pegs so that the blustering Pembrokeshire wind did not pull them out of the soil was a science to me.
I could bang in tent pegs, wooden or metal, so that the westerly winds would not heave them out of the ground. It seems as if Mrs Jael Heber could also bang in tent pegs in just the correct way for the prevailing wind and soil. Sisera's head?  Totally different but Jael applied her life's lessons to the situation in hand.

No comments: