Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bad choice

Matthew 25:1-13

It was not my day for the car. It was raining. I caught the bus from Waterloo to Braine L'Alleud, twenty minutes until the bus left for Ittre. Plenty of time for a little shopping, just one shop. Shop found, I was side-tracked by some special soap powder, I found the item I had intended buying but not the variety I wanted. I went to the checkout, something was being returned. I looked at my watch, left my potential purchaces and ran. Too late, there was the back of a bus in the distance and the stand where my bus should be waiting for me was empty. My decision to go to just one shop had not been a good choice.
Now there were more decisions to make. Either wait thirty minutes for a different bus and walk five kilometres in wind and rain or wait one hour and fifty-nine minutes in wind and rain. Neither was comfortable, it was 'punishment'.
I chose the former. Each car that passed I looked at longingly but nobody recognised me or had pity on my watery plight. I crossed the commune boundary, I was over half way. I gave up hoping and was resigned to walking the whole way. The a car stopped. A stranger  got out and invited me in. I was trusting, I was too wet and cold to care. But seated in the car was a fellow yoga goer who had recognised me and asked her husband to stop. More important to me than the ride  home is the care that caused my acquaintance to stop and help.
I believe that God made good come from my bad choice. I am very grateful for this.

No comments: