Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cathedrals

Isaiah 2:1-11

3   Many peoples shall come and say,
‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
   to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
   and that we may walk in his paths.’
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
   and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem. 
4 He shall judge between the nations,
   and shall arbitrate for many peoples;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more. 


I am a cathedral junkie.If I am visiting a new city and there is a cathedral then it is always near the top of my visiting list. It is not just the new place which attracts me. Often when passing the cathedral of St Michael and St Gudula in Brussels I will take a diversion through the church. On every visit to Pembrokeshire I try to manufacture an excuse for a visit to St David's. I do not know I have this obsession. I like to think that I am not really a traditionalist and that one can worship God in any place, no sacred building is required. I love the mellow stonework and high ceilings which exude an aura of peace.
Worn flagstones tell of feet that have walked the nave. Hymns have been sung, prayers chanted and wordless ones just flee on a thought towards our God.  Prayers of the faithful and not so faithful that were murmured within the walls. Some sermons heard and some slept through. Worship in all its forms has been witnessed by the walls.
I am together with the past and the future worshipping God in the now.

No comments: