Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Bend ahoy

Psalm 5

7 But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
   will enter your house,
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   in awe of you. 
8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
   because of my enemies;
   make your way straight before me

 Yesterday I was talking to a colleague who had just returned from America after his first Thanksgiving there. It was a normal family Thanksgiving with a trip to relatives in another state. He drove from North Carolina to Tampa. By Thanksgiving journey standards not a terribly long way. The straightness of the freeway was amazing to this Belgian. It reminded me of a game my friend and I used to play as we drove across West Texas. Guess how far to the next bend. She was driving, I would look at the map and estimate the distance to the next bend. Then Judy would watch the odometer until the bend and see how accurate I had been.
Do I really want to play "Guess what's coming" in my life? Do I really want to be able to see to the distant horizon? As my Belgian friend said "It was so boring and so tiring". Yes it is easy to go into overdrive and cruise along. Life with God is exciting.

No comments: