Friday, June 27, 2008

Trespass


Numbers 20:1-13
Psalm 102
Romans 5:12-21
Matthew 20:29-34




Romans 5:12-21


Thus was a sign on the cliffs at Broad Haven. The sign has not been there for years but it always gives me an uncomfortable feeling when I walk up the cliff from the beach towards Druidston. The sign was a the edge of somebody's yard though it was difficult to tell where the bracken, gorse and heather of the cliff ended and the yard began. I suppose the people of the house did not want all the children straying in their hide and seek onto the grass beyond so that they would have a comfortable hiding place behind a large gorse bush. Smooth grass in that area is rare so older cliff walkers may well have been tempted to venture beyond the normal rough vegetation for the treat of a rest on the lawn.
Trespass being a word of more than four letters and me being slow of reading I had to ask the meaning of the word because it just did not seem to fit in church and on a sign designating the edge of a yard on the cliff. "Keep out" I was told. I had visions of angry an angry farmer with his shotgun, bulls and snarling dog protecting the area. I was almost so terrified that I felt very brave whenever I achieved walking near the sign.
Thus it was with great delight that I embraced the 'new' prayer book with its sins instead of trespasses. I could pray without confusion as to where I was to walk. Unfortunately many churches embrace a current relationship with Christ but not when it comes to sins. As Becky's godfather Jim put it "You have a problem with walking on your neighbor's yard." Yes I do but whatever the sin I think it is better 'not to go there'.

No comments: