Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Building up the Church

1Corinthians 14:1-12

I used to go to spiritual direction. I have thought about going again but still have not organized myself to do so, even though I have found somebody who I think would be a good guide in my walk with God.

I sometimes think that the reason I do not go is that I might be told things about myself that I do not want to hear. Theoretically I want to know God more closely but do I in practice want to alter my lifestyle in any way?

The last phrase of this reading brought me up short today. The reason as I stated above for me desiring spiritual gifts and a closer walk with God is to improve my own spiritual life. No thought of enriching the community of my church has previously entered my head.

Now it seems almost imperative to be the best that I can be, whatever it takes, for the good of the church which is Christ's body.


No comments: